Tuesday 10 July 2018

The End, for Now

When I started out on this bike trip, it was my intention to end in St. John’s, Newfoundland. Due to a death in my family, I have decided to finish my trip in Halifax instead of carrying on east. Newfoundland isn’t going anywhere, and I can always come back to Halifax and continue on for the final stretch of this trip at some point in the future. 

Though I am ending my trip earlier than I originally planned, I am still really proud of how far I’ve come over the past five and a half weeks. I have biked 2,989 km since the start of my trip and climbed 18,890 m in elevation. While I knew this trip would challenge me physically, I didn’t realize how mentally challenging it would be. From waking up in the middle of the night freezing and wet in my tent, to finding myself on top of a mountain at a dead end road with no cell signal and little water, there were times that I felt unsure about what I had gotten myself into. But the warm and friendly people I have met along the way and the amazing landscapes I’ve seen have made this experience all worth it. I wanted to experience more of Canada, and that’s exactly what I did. 

I would like to thank everyone who welcomed me into their homes along the way, fed me, offered me rides when my bike broke down, gave me advice, or contributed in other ways to this amazing experience, including:
Daniel (Cornwall)
Deb (Bainsville)
Emily, Ryan, and Evan (Montreal)
Marc and Laurie (Quebec)
Dénis and your family (l’Île d’Orleans)
Tracy and Michel and your family (Fredericton)
Maryanne (Shepody Mountain)
Lisa and your family (Fundy)
Mat (Moncton)
Heather and Joe (Murray Beach)
Nathan (New Glasgow)
Alanna and Jim (Montague)
Richard, Genevieve, and Justin (Caribou-Munroes)
Amy and Bruce (Truro)
Nevin (Gaspereau)
Thor, Heather, and Magnus (Halifax)

And Jess, Zac, Jacob, and Maw for the moral support along the way. And to my parents, who despite not being the most thrilled when I told them about my plans, have been very supportive throughout this whole trip. 

This won’t be the last of my pedalling! 🚴🏽‍♀️

No comments:

Post a Comment