Tuesday 29 May 2018

Day 1: Toronto - Darlington Provincial Park


I have successfully completed Day 1 of this 51 day trip. Starting in Toronto, I headed East along the Waterfront Trail (with a slight detour on Kingston road), passing through Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, and Oshawa. 


Once I got back on the trail at Rouge Valley, the majority of the trail went through waterfront parks which was lovely. It was pretty cool seeing the vastness of Lake Ontario as I passed by beach after beach. 


It was also interesting (and slightly terrifying) to see all the election signs in different areas. Although Oshawa had a fair bit of orange, it was a sea of blue from Scarborough to Whitby.



I stopped for lunch overlooking the water right at the border between Pickering and Ajax. And of all the suburbs I passed through, Whitby definitely had the best signage for the Waterfront Trail (in Oshawa, on the other hand, I would have been completely lost without my phone). 


The weather was beautiful and sunny...I couldn’t have asked for a better first day. By the time I got to the park though I was exhausted, and tomorrow’s ride is slightly longer, so hopefully I’ll have the energy to keep going!



Darlington PP is really nice, they’ve got a few camping areas and a beach, which I immediately went to once I set up camp to dip my feet in the water. 


My 3 main takeaways from this park:

-Lake Ontario is still far too cold to swim in

-If I pick a campsite in the “Cliffside” section of the park, I’m going to have to bike up a pretty steep hill to get there

-Showering is difficult when the little shower cubicle is swarming with hundreds of mosquitos. 




Total distance: 82 Km

Total elevation: 438 m


No comments:

Post a Comment