Thursday 31 May 2018

Day 3: Presqu’ile PP - Sandhurst Shores

Well as much as I was dreading today, it turned out better than expected!

It was forecast to start raining at 2, so I figured I should try to leave as quickly as possible to beat the rain. I hadn’t seen the beach of the park when I came in, so I packed up camp and ate breakfast on the nearly empty beach.


From there, googlemaps was trying to route me through the Millenium Trail which at the entrance points I saw was pretty rough with loose gravel, so I didn’t really want to go there. So I ended up back on the Waterfront Trail, which is a sham, because it neither goes along the waterfront nor is a trail separated from the road for the majority of it. Anyways, then the road I was on was closed so I had to take a detour, but once I got to Prince Edward County it was really lovely. I was surrounded be vineyards and farms, and the hills weren’t too bad until towards the end of the day. 

Also, it wasn’t until I hit West Quinte Bay that the electoral riding finally changed—it had been the same riding since Clarington, which seemed huge to me. Someone was telling me that some of the ridings up in Northern Ontario are bigger in area than the size of France, but I wasn’t expecting such massive ridings in southern Ontario. 

By the time I got to Picton, it still hadn’t rained, which I was feeling pretty happy about. The town of Picton, “A Proudly Loyalist Town,” was cute, it reminded me of St.  Catharines. They are celebrating their loyalist heritage everywhere there, including naming the main highway Loyalist Parkway and there was a place where you could ride horses and dress up as Americans or Loyalists and I guess reenact some battles. Leaving Picton towards Glenora, where I had to catch a ferry from, the rolling hills started again, and I was already pretty tired. As I was heading up the final hill, I saw a sign that said the ferry was only 750 m away. That gave me the motivation to keep pushing to the top, and as I got there I saw a microbrewery, Lake on the Mountain Brewing Co. That was just what I wanted, so I popped in and got their sour IPA which was delicious and so refreshing. Also the guy that worked there was super friendly, so I left feeling much more energized. 


As I got to the bottom of the hill where the ferry dock was, I could just see the ferry leaving. I missed it by 2 minutes. But it was totally worth the pit stop, and the ferry runs every half hour from Glenora to Adolphustown. It was a quick ferry ride, and I chatted with a few people in the cars about my bike trip. Once we landed, it was only 18 km to my campsite, and it was all flat. 


I arrived to the Pickeral Park RV Resort and Campground, and I was the only tent in the whole place. Walking around and seeing the RV community was so interesting—some of them have built decks and the trailers are massive. I was chatting with one guy who lives in his trailer 6 months a year, but his job is always moving him around, so he was spending a week here. 



After setting up camp, I meandered down to the lake to watch the sunset. It was a tough day, but not at all terrible. Tomorrow is forecast to thunderstorm all day, so hopefully I’ll get a bit more luck and a bit of dry weather. 

Total distance: 98 km
Total elevation: 357 m

No comments:

Post a Comment